Recent Mold Remediation Posts

Mold in Your Home or Rental Property

10/5/2018 (Permalink)

Mold Remediation Mold in Your Home or Rental Property The professionals at SERVPRO of Carleton/Maybee are licensed in mold remediation, and are ready to tackle the problem!

The Truth About Mold

Mold:

  • grows from mold spores
    • spores are too small to see unaided
    • spores can survive harsh environments for many years
  • can grow almost anywhere
  • needs to have only
    • above-freezing temperatures
    • protein, such as animal dander, skin cells, wood, plaster, or carpet
    • moisture (high humidity is enough)
  • grows rapidly
  • damages and can even ruin property
  • has a bad smell
  • is unsightly (and can come in many different colors)

If you have a small amount of mold on a dish, for example, you can clean it.  You can even throw the dish away. 

However, if you have a large amount of mold, you need licensed mold remediation.  The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) defines a "large amount" as an area of 10 square feet or more. 

SERVPRO of Carleton/Maybee is licensed in the mold remediation process, and is qualified for even the worst of mold situations. 

If you see or smell anything that may lead you to  believe that you may have mold in your home, please contact the mold professionals at SERVPRO of Carleton/Maybee at (734) 299-7006.  If you are in a rental home, talk with your landlord if you suspect a problem to see if licensed professionals need to become involved. 

Monroe County Residents: What to Know About Mold After Flooding

5/2/2018 (Permalink)

After devastating flooding destroyed homes and displaced people all across Monroe County and other areas of Southeast Michigan two weeks ago, Spring has finally come and temperatures are starting to warm up.  With the increase in temperatures, however, it is now more important the ever that homeowners and business owners alike be aware of mold and the proper precautions to take if mold spores are suspected.

Mold is all around us, and occurs naturally in our environment; floating through the air as tiny particles. Some types of mold can even be useful. For instance, penicillin, which has been used medically for over 70 years, and has saved millions of lives, is actually a product of mold.

Unfortunately though, all strains of mold are not as beneficial as penicillin, and exposure can cause health concerns, especially for the elderly, children, people with weakened immune systems, and for those with respiratory issues.

What to be on the lookout for:

  • If you have had a water loss in the past, or have evidence of moisture problems, you may be at risk
  • Visible presence of something that appears like it may be mold
  • Higher than normal humidity
  • Musty odor

What to do if you suspect mold

  • Turn off your HVAC and heat; air movement could cause the spores to spread
  • Do not touch or disturb what you suspect may be the presence of mold
  • Most importantly, call the professionals at SERVPRO of Carleton/Maybee at (734) 299-7006 to assess the situation