Mold damage after flooding: What you need to know
It's been a wet spring and summer this year in lower Southeastern MI and with the increase in temperatures this past week it is now more important the ever that homeowners and business owners alike be aware of mold and the proper precautions to take if mold spores are suspected.
Mold is all around us, and occurs naturally in our environment; floating through the air as tiny particles. Some types of mold can even be useful. For instance, penicillin, which has been used medically for over 70 years, and has saved millions of lives, is actually a product of mold.
Unfortunately though, all strains of mold are not as beneficial as penicillin, and exposure can cause health concerns, especially for the elderly, children, people with weakened immune systems, and for those with respiratory issues.
What to be on the lookout for:
- If you have had a water loss in the past, or have evidence of moisture problems, you may be at risk
- Visible presence of something that appears like it may be mold
- Higher than normal humidity
- Musty odor
What to do if you suspect mold
- Turn off your HVAC and heat; air movement could cause the spores to spread
- Do not touch or disturb what you suspect may be the presence of mold
- Most importantly, call the professionals at SERVPRO of Carleton/Maybee at (734) 299-7006 to assess the situation