Recent Water Damage Posts
How Do I Protect My Downriver Business After a Water loss?
Call SERVPRO of Carleton/Maybee to rid your downriver business of water damage!
Pipe breaks never seem to happen in the open, at a convenient time on a Tuesday. They always seem to be overnight on a weekend or about an hour after the store closes and no one is around.
What Exactly Is Water Mitigation?
Water mitigation means reducing the severity of a water spill as quickly as possible. SERVPRO response teams can begin removing water and restoring your tux and formal dress shop within minutes after arriving in the parking lot.
What is the First Thing Team Members Do?
Our first task is to get the water out of your shop. Our teams usually begin with large pumps, but for a smaller operation, we begin with extraction wands. These devices work exceptionally well on concrete and wood floors, as well as commercial carpets. Water removal takes several days to a week for most stores.
There is still moisture in the air and trapped in carpets though. To finish the task and bring the inside humidity to a normal level again, our technicians use a combination of exhaust fans, dehumidifiers, and air movers.
Is There Anything I Can Do When It Comes to Mitigation?
Yes, absolutely! Even with our rapid response team, SERVPRO technicians still arrive an hour or more after someone notices the problem. Owners and employees can perform these tasks:
- Shut-off the water. Every building has a cut-off valve or switch. If you can’t find it, call the Water Department immediately to do it for you.
- Open the doors and windows. This allows water to drain out of the store and increases airflow to improve the rate of evaporation.
Both actions help prepare your business for our response team but remember safety first. If there is any risk of being inside, wait for our team leader to help assess the situation.
To schedule a service call, contact SERVPRO of Carleton/Maybee today at 734-299-7006.
Water Damage Do's and Dont's
No one wants to come home to a flooded basement or to wake up to the sound of a broken pipe spraying water on valuable furniture and household possessions. However, the possibility of water damage occurring in your business or home is very real. Whether it is a pipe burst or a weather-related issue, it is important to arm yourself with some basic knowledge to deal with this type of emergency before it happens.
Here are a few tips to help in the event of water damage :
- First, ascertain whether it safe to stay in the house.
- Make sure there are no active electrical devices or outlets immersed in or near the water.
- Note that wet floors are slippery and “slip and fall” hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
- Keep in mind that wet materials can be VERY heavy.
- Have your plumber’s phone number ready and available.
- Contact your SERVPRO Professional at 734-299-7006 for complete restoration.
While waiting for your SERVPRO Professional to reach your location, here is what you CAN do:
- Shut off the water
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air condition on for maximum drying in the Summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects and other prized possessions to a safe, dry place
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT to do After Flooding:
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
Three Reasons Why Your Toilet is Leaking
A leaking toilet can be a major nuisance, especially when the underlying cause is unknown. If your home has a bathroom leak that goes untreated, the resulting damage can be costly. The following are three possible reasons why your toilet leaks with every flush.
1. Malfunctioning Wax Ring
A common cause of this type of leak is failure of the wax seal underneath the toilet. When working properly, the wax ring functions as a barrier between the toilet and floor flange to keep water from seeping out. When this wax seal is malfunctioning, it could be that the wax has become dry over time and no longer functions as a barrier, or that the seal was improperly installed with the toilet.
2. Broken Tank Flange
Another potential cause of a leaking toilet is a broken tank flange. If the flange is not properly installed, it can shift out of place and crack under pressure. Because your toilet is a relatively high-traffic area of your home, even a small crack in a tank flange can quickly become a cause for concern and require replacement.
3. Loose Tank
Bathroom leaks that are not pooling on the floor near the base of the toilet can sometimes be traced back to the tank itself. If your toilet is leaking from the tank, but you see no obvious cracks or damage through which water might escape, your tank might just be loose. The connection between the tank and the rest of the toilet can become loose over time and will most likely cost less to repair than to replace entirely.
A leaking toilet can be a headache to deal with on your own. Hiring the professionals at SERVPRO of Carleton/Maybee can help fix existing issues and minimize costly water damage in your bathroom to make it seem "Like it never even happened."
The Truth About Sump Pump and Flood Coverage
As the owner of a home with a Michigan basement, and being in an industry where we see the worst case scenarios, the question has been brought up about insurance coverage in the event of a sump pump backup or failure.
It is common knowledge, that occasionally sump pumps have been known to fail causing devastation in basements. However, what many people don’t know is that their regular homeowner’s insurance does not cover this, neither does their flood insurance.
Flood insurance typically covers anything structural in the event of a flood. In other words, if you could take your home and flip it upside down, anything that were to stay attached is covered, anything that were to fall would not be. . . so that heirloom passed down for generations may not be covered though insurance for the cost of restoration.
Don’t find yourself caught in this position; there is a solution to protect you in the event of this happening!
If you have a sump pump in your home, you may want to consider looking into the option of a sump pump rider on your insurance policy. A sump pump rider endorsement is intended to cover both contents and structure if there is a water loss based on the failure of the unit, either by electrical loss or mechanical failure. Based on the size of your basement and whether or not it is finished, there are different coverage limits available to fit your needs.
Remember, it is important to always discuss your coverage limits with your insurance agent before making a decision. SERVPRO of Carleton/Maybee is not an expert on insurance, but only recommends insureds check their options and verify their coverage before tragedy occurs. Adequate coverage should include not only water mitigation, but also the repairs that would be required to put your basement back to its original condition if a loss were to occur.
For any additional questions, or if you have experienced a water loss, please call SERVPRO of Carleton/Maybee at (734) 299-7006.
Flooding in Michigan
Imagine walking down to your basement or crawl space, and discovering your belongings soaked in water. Unfortunately, for those living in Michigan this is not uncommon. Many home owners are prone to flooding, and power outages. Its important for home owners to have a sump pump to protect your home from the standing water that could destroy your home. The water can destroy the structural integrity of the home, ruin your belongings, and create and environment ideal for mold growth.
If you ever experience sump pump failure, SERVPRO of Carleton/Maybee is available to help! Our crews will complete a full inspection, and start the extraction process. Our crews use powerful submersible pumps, truck mounted extraction systems, and industrial strength wet/ dry vacuums to quickly remove hundreds or thousands of gallons of water from your property.
If you are in need of fast, friendly, and professional services, call SERVPRO of Carleton/Maybee at 734-299-7006.
Are You Ready for Snowmelt?
Typically, you don’t think of floods in the middle of winter. But they do exist and happen more than you think. Snowmelt flooding happens when there is a quick change in temperature. The temperature change can cause snow to melt and could potentially flood your basement. Basement flooding during the winter is mostly caused by melting snow entering the home because of faulty gutters, cracks in foundations, and improper runoff.
Just as an example, ten inches of snow can melt into one inch of water and it is already on soil, unlike rain. Obviously, the heavier snowfall, the more snowmelt. A quick temperature change can cause a significant amount of water on the soil around your home. If the water cannot flow away from your home’s foundation, it can ultimately enter your home.
Snowmelt flooding can damage the floors, walls, furniture and personal items in your basement. It also introduces potential water damage and mold in your basement as well.
Snowmelt Safety Tips:
- Shovel snow away from your home.
- Keep snow and ice buildup off drainage areas.
- Inspect basement walls for cracks
- Check your roof for ice and snow buildup.
- Inspect your gutters and downspouts.
- Clear snow from your roof to prevent buildups.
If you experience damage in your basement from snowmelt, SERVPRO of Carleton/Maybee can make it “Like it Never Even Happened”. Our services to help restore a basement after flooding include:
- Water Removal and Dehumidification
- Mold Mitigation and Remediation
- Move Outs and Contents Restoration
- Air Ducts and HVAC
- Carpet and Hard Floors Cleaning
SERVPRO of Carleton/Maybee is here to help! For more information on snowmelt flooding damage, call 734-299-7006.
When Water Damage is Left Untreated
Quick action and response after a water catastrophe is crucial. Flood waters and water catastrophes are very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and business. The water gets absorbed into the flooring, the walls, the furniture, and more. SERVPRO of Carleton/Maybee gets there fast and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Water Damage Destruction Timeline
Within a few Minutes
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishing may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
The First 24 Hours
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and bio-hazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for anyone so call SERVPRO of Carleton/Maybee at 734-299-7006.
Dundee 24 Hour Emergency Water Damage Service
Major flooding in Dundee has covered sidewalks, outdoor stairways, and has left only the tops of landscaping visible in areas.
SERVPRO of Carleton/Maybee is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today - (734) 299-7006
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Carleton/Maybee has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of Carleton/Maybee
SERVPRO of Carleton/Maybee specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.