Reduce Your Risk of a Dryer Fire in Newport, MI
According to the US Fire Administration, there are more than 2,500 clothes dryer fires in homes across the United States every year, causing an estimated 5 deaths, 100 injuries, and $35 million in property damages. As simple as it seems, the biggest contributing factor of these fires is failure to clean the lint screen.
To protect your home and family from such a tragic disaster, there are several safety tips you should follow to decrease your chances of dryer fire in your home.
- Have your dryer installed and serviced by a professional
- Follow the manufacturers operating instructions and do not try to over load your dryer
- Clean the lint screen before and after every load of laundry
- Do not use a dryer without a lint screen
- Be extra careful when drying clothes that have been soiled with flammable substances. If possible, wash clothing more than once and hang to dry
- Keep the area around your dryer clear of things that can burn
- Don’t forget to clean the back of the dryer where lint builds up and around the drum
- Make sure the venting system is not damaged or crushed which restricts air flow
- Check that the outdoor vent flap opens when the dryer is operating
- Once a year, or more often if you notice that it is taking longer for laundry to dry, clean out the vent pipe, or have a professional service do it for you
If you or someone you know has experienced a dryer fire, or any type of fire and need help, call the professionals at SERVPRO of Carleton/Maybee at (734) 299-7006.